Three Months In

I can't believe we've been here for a quarter of a year already! Time has simply been flying by. Wasn't it just June and we were hurriedly selling off many of our belongings and packing up our entire lives into 12 big red duffel bags?

And yet, in many ways it doesn't feel like it was just June. I feel like WAY too much has happened since we arrived here to have fit into just three months. On a day to day basis I really feel like we've just been here forever. We've made some really good friends. Rivkah started Ulpan. Yaeli and Sophie have started school (for the first time ever btw. I started a really great new job. We've both gotten a Rav Kav (the universal bus card here) and gotten a pretty good sense of the public transportation system here and which buses we need to take to get to different places. We've hosted out of town guests. We went to the beach and got horribly sunburned (had to happen at some point.

All the short term goals we set out for ourselves have materialized in front of our eyes. With it being the time of Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, I urge all my readers to take a minute and don't make some crazy new years resolution you'll never be able to keep, but rather to pick a specific and attainable goal that you can accomplish within the next 6 months to a year and go out there and make it happen. When you meet HaShem even 10% of the way, he comes out and brings you along the other 90%.

Shana Tova to one and all.


I Landed my Dream Job

This post is going to get pretty technical so bear with me. I just landed my dream job. Like, if I could have made a list of the top ten things I would look for in a company, this place has twenty out of ten. Commitment to quality, solid infrastructure, continuous integration. You name it. They are doing it the right way. And the best part is that all I keep hearing is that they have so much more to learn and so many more challenges to overcome. In the two weeks that I've been working here, I've rediscovered my passion for software testing; something I'm sad to say I had lost for a while at my last job. I'm learning that there really are companies who are willing to do what it takes to be successful in the short term and in the long run. The innovations that are around me and the challenges I'll be presented with are so exciting and I can't even wait to get a better understanding of the product and all its intricacies. 

I feel so blessed to have found this job this quickly. It's been less than three months since we landed at Ben Gurion airport and so many good things have come our way. And G-d has had our backs in everything we have set our minds on doing. 

I wish you all a very happy new year. May everyone who reads this remember to follow your dreams and with G-d by your side they will come to fruition. 


First Day of My Israeli Career

(Note: I wrote this down on a notepad while I was waiting to get my laptop on my first day. I just came across it today so I decided to transcribe it for the blog. Technically it was written on Sunday, 7 September, 2014)

Today is my first day at work at MyHeritage. I am quite nervous as it has been quite a while since I started a new job. February 20, 2012 in fact. But I'm also quite excited as this is a great opportunity for my career and the people here are being really nice to me so far. The kitchen is a nice setup too, which is cool. Also, my desk is quite nice. Only downside is that I have to start using Windows again, BLARGH! Oh well, win some and lost some, right? Anyway, I'm headed out in a minute to get my computer and really start working.