18.11.12

Call Me Crazy, I Still Can't Wait To Live in Israel

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suicidal or anything. I don't have a death wish for myself or my family.

You know the feeling you get when a family member is sick and in the hospital and all you can do is be there for moral support? You want to show them that they are not alone. That you are taking time out of your life to visit them, rather than to just call or leave them a message on their Facebook timeline. When my brothers and sisters in Israel are in danger, I feel guilty that my biggest problem is not getting enough sleep and waiting for the NHL lockout to end.

I have also come to terms with the fact that my daughters will serve in the IDF. I would be lying if I said that that idea doesn't scare me to death, but why should my kids be different than the other kids over there. I can only hope that terrorist organizations are no longer operating in Israel when we get to that point but, I will send them off with pride and welcome them home with joy and admiration.

I am a firm believer that a large number of Palestinians don't want this violence. I believe that they would like nothing more than to live peacefully and to end this insanity. When we were in Israel this summer I was grocery shopping at Rami Levi next to Arabs. They were buying the same cereals, yogurts, produce and candy that I was there to purchase. They were right there next to me, living their lives and allowing me to live mine. If I had to guess I'd say that they hate Hamas and the PLO as much as any Yishuvnik.

So, while this battle wages on, I want to leave my comforts here in America now more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment