2.1.13

Yaeli Hits the Ice

Today, January 1, 2013, I started teaching Yaeli how to ride a bike...in a sense. The american dad cannot wait to train his kids to ride their bikes for the first time. Well, I don't really care so much about bike riding but as a hockey player, ice skating is pretty important to me. So today I took Yaeli to Schenley Ice Rink, put some skates on her feet and hit the ice.

For a hockey dad, there is no bigger thrill than this. Imparting my hockey knowledge onto the next generation of Millers. We may not play together on the same line some day but hockey is such an important thing to me and Yaeli loves hockey too.

To start the event off we waited in line to pay for our ice time and rentals. Yaeli waited very patiently and even told me "I'm so excited!" Then we went down and got her rental skates (the very smallest pair they had). I made sure to tie them on her nice and tight. I threw on my skates and we were good to go. I wanted Yaeli to get a good feel for the skates so we walked around indoors for a bit so she could get rid of the wobble a little. She tore off and was quite steady so after a couple of minutes we hit the ice.

Out on the ice was a whole new ballgame, as I'd expected. Yaeli didn't really have a sense of how to keep her feet down but we took a few laps nonetheless and she started to get the hang of it. After a couple of laps we went inside to get a snack and then went back out for one more lap and pictures.

The time came to call it quits. We had a great time and, while Yaeli still has a lot to learn about skating, she is super excited which is what really counts. She can't wait to go again and neither can I. My back on the other hand...

Happy New Year everyone. Have a great 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment