30.1.13

The Tap of a Bumper

Back in December, on a cold dark night after an extra long and stressful day at work, I headed home to finally get a chance to relax. I got in my car and made it as far as the Greentree entrance to 376 East. It's a nightmare of an on ramp and that night my fears came true. When I saw the car in front of me pull away I turned to check on the traffic to see when I could merge in. I saw my chance, hit the accelerator...and the car in front of me! When I saw him pull into traffic he'd actually only pulled up a few feet.

We pulled over and exchanged information. Turns out I hit the car of the Chairman of the Board of Directors of Westmoreland Transit, so he's old hat at exchanging this information. While very firm, he was neither rude nor angry which I greatly appreciated.

Well, I hadn't heard from him and figured that, since there was no visible damage to either vehicle, this all had gone away. Nope! Got a call this week that, of the three estimates he got, the lowest one to fix his bumper was $643.40! I thought it sounded like he was trying to pull a fast one on me so I asked him to send me the estimate he got. It all looks legit. All the fixes listed are directly relating to the bumper.

Decided to pay for this without an insurance claim. Check is in the mail. Bank account is feeling a little lighter. I guess that's what savings are for. And, lesson learned: no matter how bad of a day I've had, always keep my head while driving. The next time it might not be just a bumper.

No comments:

Post a Comment