15.11.13

Things I've Learned From Yarden

Ever since Stella got sick we haven't stopped hearing stories that tell what an amazing person she is. How Stella so courageously carried the entire Stella's army on her back throughout her whole illness, even while we should have been the ones to carry her through it.

Well, I think someone very important has been overlooked. Yes, that wonderful man named Yarden. If it were up to Stella, we would all have been shocked to find out that she had passed away yesterday because she wouldn't have wanted anyone to know she was even sick in the first place. So, here's a list of things I learned from Yarden through this whole ordeal:

1. It's ok to talk about cancer.
2. Cancer is scary, and that's ok too.
3. In times of need, it's not a sign of weakness to reach out for help instead of doing everything yourself.
4. It's possible to be there for your children though the loss of their mother, even when you feel bleak and lost yourself.
5. Strength means standing up at your wife's funeral and telling everyone there that they should be jealous of you.

Yarden, Stella was the cause, but you were the one that has kept us all in the loop. You asked us to share jokes and stories at every chemo appointment. You let us know when you had good weeks and when you had bad weeks. You raised more money from a crazy bike ride than many people make in an entire year. And all throughout this, you helped take such amazing care of Stella and your children.

Stella had a fighters spirit, and I'm sure that was a large reason for why she lived so much longer than any doctor could have expected. But I think she also lived so long because she had your love to keep living for. You showed us all how much it is possible to love someone. You could have given up and said it was too hard. But you didn't. You provided her with such amazing care, comfort, and love that she had so much to live for.

Yarden, today and forever more, YOU are my Rock Star too.

7 comments:

  1. All I can say is that I am truly honored that I spent this time reading this journey as I have some health problems and this certainly made my whole outlook change, the love and support between the two of this couple is far beyond words that I could ever explain. But I will say this I hope these 4 children grow up remembering the love of their parents, because love like that doesn't come every day. My heart goes out to all of you and may the days ahead be somehow easier for all of you just know even though not visible stella will always be right with each and every one of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Yehuda. Miss you.
    Yarden

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully said, Yehuda - and very necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for shining a light on one of the other heroes of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Yehuda for expressing what so many of us feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How utterly true. In every admiring word that Yarden directed towards Stella, I was doubly wowed at both of them. Same for the less than happy updates. Still was doubly inspired.

    ReplyDelete