14.11.13

The World Lost an Amazing Soul Today

The world lost one of the most amazing and courageous people I know. Her name was Tzuriya Kochevet Bat Sarah. Most knew her as Stella. Many more knew her as Yarden's wife. I knew her as many things. Jordan's wife. Max's mom. Miriam's mom. Rivka's mom. Yedidya's mom. BaChan's and GiChan's daughter. Scott's sister. Jerry's and Anthea's daughter in law. The second mother to me and to my brothers when we were growing up next door back in Potomac.

Stella faced a death sentence two years ago with amazing grace and poise. She beat the odds and battled it longer than anyone could have expected and brought so much light and happiness to the world. The jokes, tzedaka, prayers and blessings of love and healing poured in every day from all over the world.

I had the privilege of meeting up with the Frankls last summer during Stella's brief period of remission from this awful disease. I'm glad that our last meeting was on such a happy occasion. We had a few hours of peaceful conversation, catching up, a wonderful barbecue dinner and an ice cream finale that ended with Yaeli just covered from head to toe.

(UPDATE: I found the picture from that day.)

Stella, if you are reading this from heaven, I didn't really get to say goodbye to you so I'll say it now. Thank you so much for being such an important part of my life. I feel incredibly blessed to have known you and have learned so much from you. You taught me how to make sushi. You taught me how to read books really quickly to my children when I need to get other things done. You taught me how to take something I'm afraid of and face it. I won't say fearlessly because I know you were afraid. But you didn't let the fear take you over. You taught me how to give without asking for anything in return.

Stella, I miss you so much. I hope you have a really comfy seat right next to G-d.

Stella, I love you.

3 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful, Yehuda.
    Totti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like your Totti, said, Yehuda, very beautifully said. May we all be comforted among the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She must have the best seat in the house...beautifully said....

    ReplyDelete