31.10.13

The Stella Frankl Lending Library

I have always had an affinity for reading. I am pretty sure I was an early reader and I used to tear through books like nobody's business. In elementary school we had a 600 minute reading challenge every year where kids who read 600 minutes got a free pass to 6 Flags for them and a parent. I often read 1,200 minutes.

So, naturally, I've accumulated a lot of books over the years. Kids books, teen books, young adult, and full size novels. I've estimated that my collection of books is upwards of 500 books, possibly close to 700. I've held onto a lot of books that I will probably never read again but I kept them so that my kids can enjoy them as much as I did when I was younger.

When we move to Israel I'm not sure we'll be able to find English literature in abundance like you can here in America. I never really went to any libraries when I was there but I didn't see any either. I decided about a month ago that I would like to share my books with more than just my kids when we move. I want to share them with anyone who would like to sit down with a good book.

I reached out to my community here in Pittsburgh asking if anyone had books they could donate to my cause and I got a bunch of responses. I'm starting to stockpile books now and catalog them so that when we move we can offer a lending library to the Yishuv we end up on.

And why am I doing this in honor of Stella? Because Stella embodies Ahavas Chinam (baseless love). Stella gives and gives and gives without ever asking for anything in return. The decision to grant public access to my personal library was not an easy one, nor one that I made lightly. But Stella has inspired me with her giving nature to give a little of myself.

Besides, have you ever heard Stella read books to kids? It's like listening to a story on fast forward. One of the funniest and most enjoyable experiences and I will cherish the memories of those book readings forever.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful idea...kol hakavod!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful tribute

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful and moving. True chesed. No secret as to why you write so well; it's because you read.

    ReplyDelete