5.12.13

Blood Donation (The Before-Post)

Today I am donating my blood.

It's easy, right?

NOT!

Even though I know there's nothing in this process that can really cause me harm, I have always been so afraid of needles. It's a primal, physical reaction that causes me to get lightheaded, nauseous, and panicked.

So, whenever I've heard about blood donation I've thought "wow, those people are really brave. I could never do that!"

And then, in August, my friend Romi shared on her blog that she dealt with the same fears, and she had avoided giving blood for many years. But, Stella needed a blood transfusion and that helped Romi overcome her fear and go out and donate blood, despite her reservations.

Well, if Romi can do it, so can I. And if Stella can face her impending death with grace and courage, then I think I can handle giving up a few pints of blood.

I'm scared right now. I'm leaving in about 10 minutes to go to the donation center. I'm having a co-worker drive me there and pick me up in case I'm not up for driving afterwards. And I'll have Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond to help distract me from my fears.

Best of all, I'll have Rivkah "holding my hand" from her work.

Wish me luck and stay tuned for the follow-up post.

No comments:

Post a Comment